Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review - The Help



Book Description: Abileen is a black maid in 1962 Jackson, Mississippi, who's always taken orders quietly, but lately she's unable to hold her bitterness back. Her friend Minny has never held her tongue but now must somehow keep secrets about her employer that leave her speechless. White socialite Skeeter just graduated college. She's full of ambition, but without a husband, she's considered a failure. Together, these seemingly different women join together to write a tell-all book about work as a black maid in the South, that could forever alter their destinies and the life of a small town...

Book Review: I waited a long time to read the book. Sometimes when certain books or shows are wildly popular, I resist because I just don't want to fall into the hype. The first chapter I had a hard time getting into to. I kept thinking, maybe I should go and rent the movie instead. Once I had a free moment to really start reading it, I never wanted to put it back down. The story grabs you. I stayed up until a little after midnight to finish it because I couldn't put it down! I thought it was an excellent book. The characters were fantastically written, these women blew my mind. What strong, courageous women. A heart-wrenching account of the civil rights era. The only thing now is that I want to know more about Skeeter, Minny and Abileen. How does Skeeter do? What's next for Abileen?

Movie Review: After reading the book, of course I had to watch the movie! Normally, I don't like watching movies after the books because they lose so much in the translation. While they can't fit everything into the movie from the book, I thought they did a great job on this one!! The acting was fabulous. Bryce Dallas Howard was phenomenal as Hilly! Cicely Tyson's appearance as Skeeter's maid,Constantine, brought her to life for me much more on screen then in the book, even though she was in it for probably a total of 2 minutes, she conveyed the message of love beautifully. As someone who has been in the childcare business for years now, I cried at the end of the movie...broke my heart. This movie had me laughing, crying, and cheering. A very moving movie.

Whether you read the book or watch the movie, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment